Thursday, May 5, 2011

Que sais-je?

Well, the grades are in and it's official: I am a BYU graduate, an alumna. Now what do I do with my life? For the moment I'm living at home and working as a receptionist to earn some moolah for whatever that next step will be. In the meantime I'm working on the last of the four aims of a BYU education: lifelong learning and service. Hence the new blog title. "Que sais-je?" is a question that one of the greatest thinkers of the last few centuries, Montaigne, posed to himself. It literally means "What do I know?", and in Montaigne's case the answer would be "a lot". "Que sais-je?", however, is not a question with a quantifiable answer; there is no moment when a human being knows everything, no real measure of complete education. Montaigne could quote any number of classical authors at will; I have a bachelor's degree and two minors. But education never ends. So I'm hoping that this blog and it's new title will help me keep asking myself, long after my diploma arrives in the mail, "What do I know?".



So what's to come? Book, movie, and music reviews; tales of my culinary endeavors; musings (and more than a few rants I'm sure) about current events; and probably (hopefully) some history projects. Basically, whatever I feel like writing about in the hope that I pursue a lifetime of service and learning. Thanks for reading.

No comments: